This evapotranspiration toilet uses evaporation and transpiration processes to filter waste matter in an efficient and hygienic way so as to promote safely managed hygiene in rural areas.

The toilet’s tank is lined with a non-porous material and then filled with layers such as broken brick, small stones, grey-red sand, etc. Together these layers, through the processes of evaporation and transpiration, filter the waste matter so that 70% of the waste becomes biogas (exiting out the back stand pipe) and the remaining 30% slowly rises to the top as organic material or compost. Even the large leaves of the tall plants are a layer and the food growing from them is edible so long as nothing is growing close to the ground, like bananas or papayas.

The innovation

THE INNOVATION

Better Village Better World’s evapotranspiration toilets provide an environment-friendly and innovative solution to the problem, with 83% of their toilets being used in one village alone. These toilets satisfy the needs of a user who prefers a toilet model that treats the waste and a tank that no one will have to touch. These toilets are also known to last a lifetime for a family of four or five.

Environmental Impact

ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT

Better Village Better World's toilets are designed to use minimal amount of water, and turn the human waste to biogas thus increasing productivity of bio-fuel.

SOCIAL IMPACT

SOCIAL IMPACT

Better Village Better World has built 82 toilets till date, making access to a toilet highly beneficial for children, women and men in terms of health, hygiene, and dignity. They have also introduced the concept of permeable roads in the region.

ECONOMIC IMPACT

ECONOMIC IMPACT

These toilets are cost effective, and use recycled materials wherever possible, eradicating the expenses on raw materials required for building them. Wherever constructed, these toilets incurred one-third the cost of similar governmental projects in the villages. The evapotranspiration toilet that Marta has brought to the villages costs only Rs. 9109.

TAGS
toilets
biogas
sanitation
rural
hygiene
cost-effective
low-cost
Show more comments Loading...